In the previous blog I wrote about a cotoneaster tanuki (a live tree fastened to a dead piece of wood), where much of the deadwood had rotted away.  I mentioned that I intended replacing the lower, particularly rotten part of the deadwood, with Tufa rock. Tufa is light and hopefully will not deteriorate too much, despite being in constant contact with the damp surface soil.

The first job was to shape the deadwood and Tufa rock to allow them to be married together and keep the original tree shape and position. I successfully used ‘Gorilla glue’ to initially fix the two different materials together.


However, the join was quite obvious so I sent away for some two-part, self hardening putty that could be moulded to hide the joins whilst also providing a waterproof and very hard surface capable of being shaped and painted.

The putty worked well and added to the bonding of the deadwood and Tufa rock.

After a time-consuming period of filling in all around the rock and machining the putty to shape it all blended together quite well, although the colour differences were quite distinct. The next job was to paint and tint the stone to try to make it blend in with the wood. Finally strategically placed moss around the bottom of the stone completed the job

 

Here is the finished project. Over time the rock and deadwood should age and blend together to become difficult to tell the difference between the two.

   

So, the cotoneaster Tanuki now has a new lease of life and will hopefully last for many years to come.